1. I spent the afternoon at the beach in Montauk, smelling of sun and sand. I wandered into the grocery store in a swimsuit and sandals to buy beer. Back at the beach, I laid out in the sun, read Mama Day, and dug a spot for my cold can of Stella Artois.
2. Tonight, we had dinner in an old bank vault. It was converted into something beautiful and our food–musssels, a bolognese, and a “chocolate mess”–was hearty and tasted like vacation and magic.
3. Two youngish white guys stopped us on our way to the car. “I know I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn’t take the chance to introduce myself,” one said. “I’m _____. You’re absolutely beautiful.” This restored my faith in chivalry’s existence.
4. I stood before the biggest waves I have ever seen in my life, and decided that I am not afraid of anything, and that I will always do my best to be happy–if I’m rich, or poor, single or married, have children or don’t. I choose happiness every time.
5. Spending my last night of my mini-break resting in God’s power, so that I may more fully recognize my own.